Jump to recipe
It’s officially summer, which means barbecues, festivals and camping — whatever the weather!
For Americans, that means s’mores. These little pieces of magic combine three simple ingredients — biscuit, marshmallow and chocolate — and turn them into gooey, sticky, delectable treats that’ll have you coming back time and again for “some more” — hence the name!
These cookie bar bites are like an extra-gooey blondie and are adapted from a recipe on Sally’s Baking Addiction, one of my absolute favourite baking sites. They’re simple to make and guaranteed to get a reaction — take them to the next outdoor event you go to and see your friends’ faces light up as they discover the joy of s’mores!
- 115g salted butter, room temperature
- 150g light brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 125g plain flour
- 100g digestive biscuit crumbs
- 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
- 200g dark chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 — 2⁄3 jar marshmallow fluff (enough to make a layer in your tin)
- Preheat the oven to 175c (150 fan).
- Line or grease a 20cm (8″) baking tin (preferably one with a loose base).
- Cream the butter and brown sugar in a large bowl.
- Combine the flour, biscuit crumbs and baking powder.
- Add the vanilla extract and egg, then mix until smooth.
- Add the dry mix to the wet a little at a time, mixing until combined before adding more.
- Spread approximately half to two thirds of the dough over the base of the tin.
- Spread the marshmallow fluff on top — this is a very messy job, can be made easier by greasing a spatula or knife with unsalted butter.
- Spread the chocolate as evenly as possible over the marshmallow.
- Spread the remaining dough over the top — it’s OK if you can’t make a whole layer as the chocolate and marshmallow will peek out temptingly.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the top is golden. This gives a very gooey bar, add a couple of minutes if you want them firmer.
- Leave to cool and then cut into small squares.